Tuesday, March 16, 2010

White Faced

Herbie had a black face, once upon a time, but he has become a venerable snowy-faced old boy. I was asked how I keep his face so clean, and had to say "Oh, he does all that himself."

There is a reason why I have blankets over much of the furniture, and a reason why I mostly wear old jeans at home. After each meal, Herbie will walk the length of the sofa one way, sliding his face along the surface, then turn and wipe the other side of his face, again along the entire length of the sofa. If I am standing up, he will then come and wipe his face against the back of my legs. I've learned to change out of my work clothes fast.

Holly, despite being a dainty girl, is much less bothered, and going out with legs covered in tomato sauce is normal for her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben and Bridget are both face wipers, too. It's as if the sofa is there simply to be their napkin! I once read that the wiping is an instinctual thing. If they were in the wild, they'd be doing the same thing to wipe the blood from the kill off their faces. I'm just gratefully it's not blood that's going on the furniture!

Maybe Holly is saving the tomato sauce for a later snack?

{HUGS}

Hiking Hounds said...

My boys do that too. :-) I try to cover the sofa with blankets but they always seem to be on the floor when I get home. I'm thinking of getting one of those sofa covers. Herbie is still very handsome even with his bump and white face!

Hiking Hounds said...

My boys do that too. :-) I try to cover the sofa with blankets but they always seem to be on the floor when I get home. I'm thinking of getting one of those sofa covers. Herbie is still very handsome even with his bump and white face!