Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Eight Today!

Herbie, not me. I never thought I would see this day - it was about this time last year when his lymph nodes came up, and the vet said, "Well, it could be his teeth, but I hate to say this, it could be something else..." In the autumn, my whole focus was on Christmas, if only we could make it till then. After Christmas, when the chemo stopped having any effect, I started really to take one day at a time... his eighth birthday was beyond imagining.

He's had some tinned salmon, and a new toy. This morning, the gods of dog-birthdays produced a black and white cat that ran straight towards him instead of away. Herbie sprang to life, the cat realised his mistake and shinned up the nearest tree, and Herbie stood under the tree, wagging his tail, delighted that he almost got a cat for his birthday.

Incidentally, apologies for the time-lag in moderating comments, and I think I accidentally deleted a couple - I've been spammed by some "Make $$$ at home" blogger, or bloggers, who are so desperate for links they're posting spam comments, or whatever the correct terminology is. The only way to keep them out seems to be to set the comments field to "Moderate". I may go back to instant commenting later, once the splogs have gone away :-)

I must post more often - the trouble with these job things is, they suck all your time away. I haven't forgotten everyone, I'm just scrabbling for time to log on.

9 comments:

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Happiest of all happy birthdays, Herbie! Congratulations on reaching this milestone. May your dreams be filled with cats and salmon.

Greyhound Gap Official News Blogger said...

Happy 8th Birthday Herbie sending you lots of love x

Ari_1965 said...

Happy birthday, Herbie.

Handh, congratulations on the job. I laughed so hard at the description of your father enticing the dogs out with a packet of tongue in his pocket. Tongue is not something you can buy where I live. I only know it from Miss Read village novels.

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear a lymphoma 'good news story', if there is such a thing.... Happy Birthday Herbie!!

Lesley Rigby said...

Happy Birthday "Wonder Boy"! You are a dog in a million!

Lots and Lots of kisses and hugs.

Emily and the Labradors said...

Happy birthday buddy!!! Maggie would like to welcome you to the "8's". She says it is the perfect age :)

Fiona said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Herbie!! I am so pleased he is doing well, still up to mischief AND pleasing himself (refusing to go out when he doesn't feel like it). Also delighted to hear your job is going well. Yep, they do eat into time but needs must :o) Great news all round! x

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Herbie!! We're sending you lots of birthday kisses and hugs!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Yack, I'm so sorry I missed Herbie's Birthday.

A very belated Happy Birthday Herbie!