Sunday, April 27, 2008

Today we have mostly...


... been getting wet. Now it is thundering, and Herbie is panting under my desk. Holly is snoring in her own bed, completely unperturbed. There is nothing that will fix Herbie's fear of thunder, not even hiding in the wardrobe, or cheese. Cheese will compensate for most things in life, but not this.


I have some phosphorus homeopathic spray to spray on his gums, and I learned T-Touch for situations like this, but these days, I've given up. I just go and get on with whatever I'm doing, and he can do what he likes. At the moment, he's drooling on my left foot.


4 comments:

Ari_1965 said...

But are you using the right cheese? Maybe Herbie would respond to a nice wedge of Brie.

Fiona said...

Ignoring him is exactly the right thing to do (I think) I have read that any contact when they are frightened or stressed re-afirms the negative. It has worked with larry, he is no longer afraid of gunshots or other loud noises.
I also saw Herbies nodes. They are huge aren't they? Yogis were not quite like that, they seemed to almost "burst" so that the whole of one side of his face swelled.
Keep well Herbie, I am rooting for you...

Lesley Rigby said...

I can't help but think that if you are so fed up how on earth is poor Herbie feeling? He looks totally miserable. The two of you must be at rock bottom but how much can Herbie take?

Anonymous said...

Cole was terrified of the thunder and fireworks, too. We found that giving her a good strong dose of chamomile tea helped her to relax and usually sleepy enough to nap.

Ignoring them is good since you don't want to encourage the fear. (It's hard to not want to cuddle them, though.) We're sending Herbie all kinds of well wishes for a quick recovery from the histiocytoma!