Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nothing Much

It has been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, as Garrison Keillor always used to say. I have sniffles again, possibly as a post-Reiki training clear-out - they warn you to expect this kind of thing. Holly is shedding so much I may have to get her fur turned into something useful.


On the plus side, I have a permanent job with effect from tomorrow. Salary not great, but a step in the right direction after a year and a bit living off the proceeds of selling my house. This means I might be able to buy another house, instead of living/camping out in a family member's renovation project. I am immensely lucky to have such a generous family, but there are times when I'd like not to owe anyone anything, you know? So I've been looking at tiny houses online this week, and thinking: hmm. Deep breath. It's going to be OK.


Herbie is slowing up. He still dragged out Henry Kitten's (RIP) toy chicken from under the furniture at my father's, for a good shake, but I can see him pondering whether to race Holly to the far corner of the lawn, and deciding not to. One day at a time.

7 comments:

Yang-May Ooi said...

How extraordinary that you can spin yarn from pet hair to knit! I didn't think greyhounds' hairs would be long enough, though...

HandH said...

You're right, I was being flippant - greyhound hair is useless for spinning, but maybe I could stuff a doll's cushion :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the permanent job!

Hmmmm...give a chicken a good shake or run across the lawn...sounds like Herbie is a discerning dog, choosing his priorities. It's good to know that the toy chickens are not safe yet, best they keep to under the furniture for now.

I'm sorry that Herbie is slowing down. It's good that he conserves his energy for the important things, like spending time with you. I think of you often, wishing you, Herbie, and Holly well!

xo

Linda Seid Frembes said...

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you enjoy it.

Kisses to Herbie.

-Linda

Lesley Rigby said...

You deserve some good luck and hopefully the job will make you happy and the house be a new beginning.
Give "Superdog" a cuddle from me. (Wish I could get hold of him!!)

Fiona said...

Congratulations on the new job!! Hugs to Herbster for me please. He is amazing as are you x

Emily and the Labradors said...

Congrats on the new job! And hugs and kisses to you and Herbie from Douglas and I :)