Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Snow Day - Again

Once more unto the snow shovels, dear friends, once more...

A gloomy old man in the village told me that the long hard winter of 1962 started like this. "It were bad before Christmas, and it stayed bad till March." Oh great. People keep ringing to tell me where they've been stuck, how long it took to get out or be rescued, where they came off the road, where they had to spend the night, etc.

I've taken today off work because the local radio announced that my route in, the only gritted route, was blocked. It's not the day for back-roads driving. We've had snow cover now for almost three weeks, which is rare for these parts.

Herbie had an emergency visit to the vets on New Year's Eve because he started coughing and wouldn't eat. One lot of antibiotics (Noroclav) later, and he's back to normal. However I'm starting him on Tramadol, a painkiller, because he seems to be a little brighter on them. The snow is not kind to old bones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I swear to dog (a little dyslexic humor there) that I left you a message earlier this week... Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Herbie is better after his coughing bout.

Getting snowed in sounds like a good excuse to cuddle up with two warm pups and a juicy novel in front of the fireplace! Were you able to do that?

Keep warm and safe on those roads! {HUGS}