Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Chemo Week 13

..And a flurry of superstitious dread at the number. It's only a number. Herbie went for a blood test this morning, and his white cell count is holding up. That's one relief. Unfortunately he doesn't want to walk much, which is bad sign. However, I think it's related to the prednisolone. He is one of the few dogs who doesn't tolerate it well, and his muscles waste fast. He also becomes depressed and mopey, with intermittent episodes of rapid heartbeat and panting.

It's possibly the only thing that will slow his cancer down, so I'm sticking with the prescribed dose because the lumps are growing back more slowly. But his little face, at the top of the stairs this evening, panting, worries me. The vets at Cambridge said it's more of a psychological effect, and physically he'll be fine. But he looks miserable. I'm not sure what to do. I think I may have to phone the vets again.

3 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

I don't want to sound really miserable and depress you even more but I know how you feel exactly and it is just a living hell. I didn't love Prince any less than my Mother, Father or any other close member of my family and to see him looking so unhappy was just awful. I loved him and loved him and hoped that that made him feel better which is what I am sure you are doing. You can't do any more.............. Hugs and loves can sometimes be better than any medicine.xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I'd celebrate the fact that it's week thirteen - don't worry about the number! Prince was lucky with the Prednisolone and did really well on it. He did have a fairly rapid heartbeat at times, and I'd lie in bed checking it against my watch and worrying about his shallow breathing in the early days, before the drugs started to have a positive effect. If his glands are going down, that's great news. If you need to check anything I wouldn't think twice about calling the vet - after all, either you or the insurance company pays them a lot of money for the good job they do. I used to drive them bloody mad with calls at all times of the day and night....

Good luck for tomorrow - I'm sure everything will be fine. Love & Hugs, G, P & T xxx

Fiona said...

I really feel for you both. It's the worst feeling in the world when your baby is suffering in any way. I SO hope he is feeling better now. All I can do is send you lots of love and positive thoughts. Lesley is right, love is the best medicine xxx